The CIB is looking for an exceptional project finance lawyer to join our Toronto based Legal team. Reporting to the Senior Legal Counsel, Investments, you will be responsible for providing legal advice and transaction support for the increasing number of financial transactions that the CIB is entering into with proponents and project sponsors in each of the CIB’s priority investment sectors.
In this highly collaborative role, you will be working closely with the CIB’s Investments, Risk and Asset Management teams, supporting and advising them on a wide range of transactional and corporate matters. A motivated self-starter with a partnering focused mindset, you will find yourself exposed to a broad range of business activities related to the due diligence and execution of investment transactions, including secured and unsecured loans, equity investments, loan guarantees and other risk-sharing products.
If you are a commercially minded legal professional with transaction experience who is seeking a unique opportunity with an impact investor, then consider joining our team.
Your responsibilities include:
- Provide high level legal advice and transaction support to the Investments, Risk and Asset Management teams on a range of transactions, within the scope of the CIB’s investment mandate and authorities.
- Advise in the structing of proposals and negotiating agreements, with the proponents of infrastructure projects, collaborate with external legal counsel in drafting and negotiating transaction documents, and assist with the legal aspects of project monitoring and asset management.
- Engage with deal teams and external counsel and provide support on both transaction-specific considerations and enterprise-wide investment policies and procedures.
- Support the development of policies, procedures, systems and training on investment-related legal compliance and risk management matters.
- Anticipate, identify and assist in managing legal risks relating to investment strategies, project structures, and new or amended laws or regulations that impact the CIB’s investment strategies.
- Plan, develop and execute on a variety of complex legal initiatives and innovative projects.
- Generally, assist on other legal matters as they arise.
Your ideal profile:
- LL.B./LL.M/JD or equivalent required.
- 4 to 8 years of legal experience in corporate finance, project finance, banking and public private partnerships at a leading law firm and/or in-house corporate legal department for an asset management company or institutional investor.
- Industry experience leading the execution of infrastructure deals in equity or debt, project finance or development in the infrastructure, energy, broadband and trade and transportation sectors is preferred.
- Bilingual in both official languages (English and French) verbal and written is highly desired.
- Able to communicate with and convince internal and external stakeholders at a high level with appropriate legal solutions (including the ability to negotiate complex legal documents with counterparties).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including an ability to build relationships and work cooperatively with many different stakeholders.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision on a range of projects.
- Strong organizational, project management and decision-making skills and able to manage multiple competing projects to completion.
- Demonstrated good judgment, professionalism and integrity.
- Committed to the CIB’s values and proven commitment to integrity and accountability.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: Legal Counsel Investments, no later than December 20, 2021.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Important Point to Consider
Vaccination Policy for COVID-19: The health, well-being and safety of our colleagues, clients and of the community are a top priority for us. Effective November 8, 2021, the CIB requires that all employees and consultants be fully vaccinated. A solemn declaration will be requested to this effect.
At the CIB, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.