Director, Sector Strategies
The Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) is working in partnership with governments, Indigenous communities and the private sector to invest $35 billion in infrastructure that benefits Canadians. By attracting and leveraging private sector and institutional investment in revenue-generating infrastructure projects in the public interest, we are building a portfolio of investments in key sectors including transit, clean power, green infrastructure, trade & transportation and broadband that will foster economic growth, connect Canadians and contribute to the sustainability of infrastructure in Canada.
Reporting to the Head of Strategy, the Director, Sector Strategies is responsible for partnering with our investments team and other stakeholders to refine the CIB’s investment strategy within the CIB’s existing sectors and define our value proposition in new ‘whitespace’ sectors where CIB could catalyze investment. The ideal candidate is able to bridge policy and financial analysis to assess the potential public benefit of and financial investment required to catalyze investment in a sector.
This position requires a strategic thinker with a strong skillset in financial and policy analysis. It requires communication and interpersonal skills – someone who is comfortable to engage senior leaders both internal and external to the CIB. Extensive strategy experience, preferably in an investing or public sector context is required.
Your responsibilities include
- Lead initiatives to define the CIB’s value proposition within existing and potential new subsectors consistent with its Investment Framework, in partnership with internal stakeholders, including:
- Identifying the market failure or gap that creates an opportunity for CIB investment to catalyze private sector capital and close our infrastructure deficit.
- Assessing and quantifying the public benefit of closing the infrastructure deficit consistent with CIB’s investment framework.
- Identify potential partners, co-investors and stakeholders involved in delivering infrastructure projects within subsectors
- Assessing the required characteristics of CIB investments within a sector to understand risk, tenor, and pricing required to catalyze investment
- Sizing the quantum of potential CIB investment within a subsector and identify a preliminary list of potential investments
- Lead development of investment strategy materials to facilitate discussions amongst CIB Senior Management and Board of Directors, including creatively conveying data and analysis with charts, tables, and other visuals
- Conduct research to support these initiatives and participate in efforts with external advisors that support the definition of CIB’s role within priority sectors
- Monitor CIB’s capital deployment within existing subsectors and identify potential opportunities to adjust our strategy within that sector to improve outcomes
- Contribute to the CIB’s corporate plan describing the CIB’s strategy within defined sectors including sector definition, defining measurement of public interest outcomes and assessment of risks
Your ideal profile
- Undergraduate degree, with an advanced degree (e.g., MPA, MBA or equivalent) preferred
- Strong business acumen, with demonstrated aptitude for strategic, analytical and critical thinking
- Background in consulting (from a top tier management consulting firm) or corporate strategy
- Minimum 5 years of progressively senior strategy, management consulting, and/or infrastructure investment banking experience
- Demonstrated leadership, with ability to influence and build relationships
- Experience managing enterprise-wide strategic planning process an asset; comparable planning experience considered
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, including financial analysis, policy analysis, market research and complex modeling
- Comfortable communicating with high variety of levels and functions within large organizations
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies and tactics in collaboration with external and internal partners
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset (training can be provided)
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the Subject Line: Director, Sector Strategies.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
At the CIB, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
For more information on our company, visit www.cib-bic.ca.