Operational Risk Senior Associate
The Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) is looking for experienced risk professionals to help build the ERM function, which includes the full assessment of risks associated with lending and investing in the infrastructure asset class in Canada, the CIB’s business development (data & advisory) and risks related to its supporting operations across the organization Priority sectors include: Transport & Trade, Transit, Green and Broadband.
Reporting to the Head of Risk, the Operational Risk Senior Associate position is a full-time job opportunity based in Toronto, with a focus on operational risk program design management and contract management, across all operations of the CIB. The Operational Risk Senior Associate will work very closely with Finance, HR, Legal & Compliance and IT service provider(s) as it relates to operational risk, as well as with the rest of the CIB’s departments as required in the implementation of CIB’s Operational Risk program.
- Operational Risk Management (ORM) program: design and implementation of ORM program, which will form part of CIB’s ERM Program
- Builds required process inventory and monitors activities to ensure that first-line-of-defense teams are following defined processes and procedures across the organization, maintaining proper related records
- Perform risk identification and control assessment, external events, key risk indicators (KRI)
- Provides ongoing support of processes and procedures, guidelines, tools, templates, training and other supports required for managing Operational Risk across CIB.
- Recommends improvements to the process and incorporates learning experience
- Maintains good understanding of best practices and implements improvements accordingly
- Develops/maintains in-depth understanding of the business strategies and objectives, products and services, internal and external stakeholders and business processes as well as the underlying infrastructure to identify and manage operational risk exposures for the CIB
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives, including tracking metrics and milestones
- IT Risk: manages IT related risks, including monitoring specific performance against third party contracts and recommends mitigation strategies as applicable
- Contracts risk management: tracks performance under various other contracts and provides risk mitigation recommendations when applicable
- Gathers data for reporting to the Head of Risk on a regular basis with respect to all of CIB’s operational risks, recommends potential mitigants and maintains best practice records, including ad-hoc reports for ORM reporting
- Maintains good knowledge of industry dynamics, trends and in particular, in relation to IT developments, HR practices, Finance and Compliance/Legal, as applicable
- Liaise with all areas of the CIB with respect to operational risk
- Contributes to the maintenance of the ERM Risk Dashboard reporting to senior management and the Board of Directors and external parties as required.
- Other risk related initiatives as required
- 7 years minimum operational risk experience at a regulated financial institution (Banks/Lifecos), investment firm, MDB/IFI’s or related experience, including good knowledge of IT operational risks.
- Establishing ORM program, start-up or similar experience from the ORM perspective would be an asset
- Good understanding of outsourcing risk monitoring best practices
- Degree in an IT related field, finance, accounting, or equivalent experience. MBA, PMP desirable
- Familiarity with infrastructure asset class would be an asset, preferably in any of the CIB’s priority sectors
- Strong analytical skills and ability to summarize complex concepts and related risks in a clear and concise manner
- Strong software skills and experience in using excel, MS word, PowerPoint and similar industry software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with policy-related mandates, Crown Corporations or government would be a strong asset
Other Job Requirements
- Able to work independently as well as building a strong working relationship with peers and with cross-functional teams
- Attention to detail, organized and focus on high quality standards in line with market best practices
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks/transactions
- Results oriented: accountability to meet scheduled milestones to ensure operations are managed towards a successful execution of CIB’s mandate
- Bilingual English/French (asset)
How to apply
To apply for this position, please email your resume to email@example.com with the Subject Line: Operational Risk Senior Associate no later than November 18, 2019.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted. Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada.
At CIB, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.