Head, Asset Management
Headquartered in Toronto, the Canada Infrastructure Bank (the CIB) is responsible for investing $35 billion in federal funding in new infrastructure projects. The CIB’s mission is to work with provincial, territorial, municipal, federal, Indigenous and private sector investor partners to transform the way infrastructure is planned, financed and delivered in Canada.
Reporting directly to the Chief Investment Officer, with a strong background in infrastructure, the Head, Asset Management will be based at our head office in Toronto. The Head, Asset Management will oversee the monitoring, design, and implementation of all investments including loans, bonds and equity participations and will be responsible for developing asset management strategies and plans, develop models and tools, and create financially sustainable programs, standards, and guidelines based on asset management best market practices.
The successful candidate will be exposed to all asset management functions that comprise the CIB’s fiduciary mandate including the principles of good governance and transparency. This role will provide strategic direction, leadership, and oversight of asset management, while supporting the organization’s overall business plan. This role requires someone who is hands on and is comfortable building a small Asset Management team.
Your responsibilities include
- Establish risk-based and fact-based procedures to address infrastructure asset management needs
- Develop asset registries, and asset classes and categories
- Pursue asset management projects and initiatives in an innovative, collaborative, and creative manner
- Evaluate performance of the assets, recommend, and implement revisions as necessary for the CIB and relevant counterparties
- Manage construction draws (monthly or quarterly) and loan repayment/investment returns with the CIB Finance Department
- Complete regular financial reviews, analysis and reports on a quarterly and annual basis
- Prepare comprehensive Annual Reviews for each investment in the portfolio in conjunction with the Investment Lead for presentation to the Management Investment Committee and the Board, including credit rating recommendations
- Work with the Investments team to identify value creation opportunities
- Contribute to the planning and completion of due diligence, including review of reporting and Know-Your-Client requirements for all investments.
- Receive and assess owners’ reports for a variety of investments across several asset classes throughout Canada
- Conduct research related to infrastructure construction market conditions throughout Canada, including analysis of official published data
- Identify emerging market and industry trends to enable active participation in the asset management marketplace.
The ideal profile
- 12+ years of progressive experience, of which 5 should be within the Infrastructure industry
- Undergraduate degree (business, commerce, economics, or engineering) or MBA/Master’s degree/CFA
- Have practical knowledge in the area of public sector infrastructure with an emphasis on process/design, or infrastructure asset management, condition assessment procedures, data gathering techniques, data collection and analysis, and system performance monitoring
- Working knowledge of Canadian debt financing and capital markets and/or project financing markets, including reflection of these in a financial modelling and commercial document context
- A depth of experience and expertise in some the following asset management practices:
- Policy and Strategy Development
- Asset Inventory Architecture
- Risk Analyses and Management
- Asset Investment Planning, Decision Making and Management
- Levels of service and performance framework development
- Triple Bottom Line Evaluation
- Highly motivated and energized by participating in projects involving the development of critical national infrastructure assets that have a tangible and lasting impact on society
- Excellent relationship management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and to building strong working relationships with peers and cross-functional teams
- Work closely with the Enterprise Risk Management area on portfolio risk analysis
- Organized with strong team management skills with ability to simultaneously manage and execute on multiple assignments
- Attention to detail and focus on high quality standards in line with market best practices
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks/transactions
- Results oriented: accountability to meet scheduled milestones to ensure timely execution of the CIB’s mandate
- Bilingual English/French (asset)
To apply for this position, please email your resume to email@example.com with the Subject Line: Asset Management no later than July 10, 2020.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
At the CIB, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
For more information on our company, visit www.cib-bic.ca.